Monday, March 19, 2012

HOODED ROBINS IN PENROSE

Well done to avid Bundy birder John Shepherd who found a pair of Hooded Robins near Stingray Swamp at Penrose on Saturday morning. I've got to follow this up. I've not seen a Hooded Robin for about fifteen years. The males are stunning, even though they're pied and dumpy. HRs are listed as 'vulnerable' in NSW by DEC. John's record is the most easterly record I'm aware of. HRs are mostly found west of the Great Dividing Range (and irregularly). Between John and his wife Jenny, the robins of the Southern Highlands are covered!

LJ, March 19 2012.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lorne.
    I have never seen them in the Southern Highlands either.
    Denis Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day Denis,

    Thanks for your comment.

    I've only seen them out in the Capertee Valley, west of the Great Dividing Range.

    On another note, there will be some summer storm photos on here soon - look out for them.

    Take care,

    Lorne

    ReplyDelete