Friday, November 8, 2013

EASTERN BROWN SNAKE SIGHTINGS

I've had two recent reports of Eastern Brown Snake sightings in town. One EBS was seen swimming across the pool at the bottom of Erith Coal Mine's falls (cool!), the other was seen on a property next to the railway lines, close to Penrose Rd. I've only seen two Eastern Brown Snakes in my life, one of which was dead, so I'd love to see another. A herpetologist was on ABC radio the other morning saying a woman recently died from an EBS bite. Apparently, she wasn't aware she'd been bitten by the thing and got medical attention too late. Poor woman. On another note, there was a dead, almost four-foot long, Red-bellied Black Snake by the side of Penrose Rd about two weeks ago. LJ, November 8 2013.

1 comment:

  1. WE have a house in Nerrim st, and over the last 6 months have seen 4 snakes. They have all slithered away and have not been aggressive, however i am scared that while gardening I am unintentionally provoke one and get bitten next time. They lay low and most of the time I have not seen them till I have been within 1 meter of them.

    ReplyDelete